If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (314) 846-0600

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Saving Your Building From Mold After a Flood

12/15/2017 (Permalink)

Saving Your Building From Mold After a Flood

Few natural disasters are more devastating or cause more damage than a flood. In addition to water damage, a flood can also cause mold growth which poses a severe health risk. Standing water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and the possibility of black water could contaminate nearly every item in the flooded building. When dealing with the aftermath of a flood in Oakville, Missouri follow these four steps to get rid of mold after a flood.

Remove Standing Water and Dry Out the Interior

Mold can begin growing as quickly as 24 hours after a flood. The faster all of the water is removed and the property is dried out, the less chance there is for mold growth. Even after mold has begun to grow, removing any dampness will hamper its spread.

Kill Bacteria

Once the building has dried completely, use a certified antifungal solution to kill the mold. By killing the bacteria before it can spread, this treatment can help control the mold and keep the problem manageable. The absence of standing water will help discourage the growth of mold, but an antifungal treatment may be able to help get rid of the awful smell of mold as it prevents it from growing.

Use a Mold-Control Solution

Although an antifungal solution may stop the growth of mold, it may not keep it from coming back in the future, especially if the building was not thoroughly dried out before treatment. A mold-control agent helps keep the mold from reoccurring.

Deodorize Your Property

Any kind of deodorizer can help you get rid of the smell of pesky mold. Using baking soda may be one of the best ways to remove the smell of floodwater from your property because it also absorbs any leftover dampness that could encourage mold to grow and spread. If the odor remains a problem, work with a water removal company for professional treatment.

Removing mold growth may be one of your top priorities if you have survived a flood in Oakville, Missouri. Standing water and bacteria contribute to this problem with an awful odor, and can even cause you to become seriously ill. Follow the steps above to remove mold from your building. Visit http://www.SERVPROoakvillemehlville.com for more information on flood damage.

Other News

View Recent Posts