4 Things To Throw Away After a Fire
Items To Throw Away After a Fire
High heat can damage non-perishable and perishable food items in a home that has experienced a fire. You should avoid eating food exposed to fire suppressants, smoke, or soot. Avoid feeding pets food exposed to fire. Here are four more things to throw away after a fire.
Medicine that shows signs of fire damage or that has been exposed to smoke, soot, or suppressants should be disposed of and replaced. Most medicine has a safe temperature range stated on the label and may be less effective if this range is exceeded. If these items were anywhere near a fire, it is likely that temperatures surpassed the upper limit.
2. Burned Clothing
Clothes exposed to ashes or soot may be restored, but you should throw away burned clothing. This is particularly the case for babies ' or children's clothing. Wash sooty clothes in a mixture of four to six teaspoons of tri-sodium phosphate or TSP-PF phosphate-free cleaner to one cup of bleach per gallon of water. You can also try products that contain sodium percarbonate or oxygen bleach.
Even though you don't ingest most cosmetics, these substances are worn on the skin. Makeup or personal care items exposed to extreme heat, smoke, soot, or fire suppressants may cause irritation or increase the amount of transdermal toxins absorbed through skin.
4. Porous Food Preparation Equipment
Avoid bringing clean food or drinks into contact with contaminated surfaces such as cutting boards, plastic dishes, cups, or utensils, or baby bottle nipples. Dispose of these items if they have been exposed to fire, smoke, or soot.
Throwing away these four types of items may reduce the risk of continued exposure to fire suppressants, smoke, or soot. If you are unsure whether to throw away an item or attempt to have it restored, contact a residential fire damage restoration firm in Oakville, MO.