5 Important Steps to Prepare for a Flood
Follow These Steps To Protect Your Home
Storm season can wreck havoc on a community with constant flooding, wind damage, and other types of weather damage. Preparedness and prevention is the best way to help yourself and your family safe this year. Follow these steps to help protect your home in Mehlville, MO.
1. Keep yourself informed: Different regions experience floods more frequently than others. Look online to see your community's respective risk and sign up for your local emergency alert system to stay up to date.
2. Keep your flood insurance policy up to date: Many basic homeowner policies don't actually cover flood damage specifically. You'll often have to purchase that separately. Policies typically take up to 30 days to go into effect, so make sure you plan ahead.
3. Keep valuables above flood level: Flood water starts low before rising higher. Naturally, the best way to protect your valuables is to move them to high shelves on the top floor of your home. Store important documents in waterproof containers as well.
4. Keep electrical equipment dry: Flooding can fry and ruin electrical equipment, such as sockets, circuit breakers, and wiring. Additionally, electrified flood water is extremely dangerous. All electronics should be elevated at least a foot above flood level. If you can do so safely, you should shut off your electricity as well.
5. Keep your gutters and drains free of clutter: Making sure that drainage paths are unclogged can help flood water go down much more quickly. Make sure you unclog your gutters regularly, not just during storm season.
Following these tips can only reduce your chances of falling victim to flooding and storm damage. They won't prevent disaster entirely. If you do fall, victim, you should contact your local storm remediation experts as soon as you can. It's best not to take unnecessary risks when it comes to keeping yourself and your family safe.