If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (314) 846-0600

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Why Does Mold Have an Odor?

12/15/2017 (Permalink)

Why Does Mold Have an Odor?

If you have ever been around mold or if you have mold growing in your Oakville, Missouri home, then you probably know it has a musty odor. This odor is caused by different compounds that combine to produce that characteristic damp, musty scent that is immediately associated with mold. However, it isn’t always the mold smell you should be concerned about. The real issue is when you have mold that does not smell, such as those with the compound mycotoxin.

Smelly Mold

Smelly mold is caused by certain compounds coming together to create a scent. These compounds are common in certain types of mold. Generally, these are molds that are not considered toxic. They can still be harmful, though, especially to your home, causing severe damage to your personal items and your home’s structural elements. They also spread quickly, compounding the problem.

Mold With No Smell

The toxic molds are those that contain a substance called mycotoxin. This is a compound that has no smell. If you see mold, but there is no smell, you could be dealing with a toxic mold that should be cleaned up as soon as possible. You may not always be able to see mold, so smelling it often signals you have an issue. Because toxic molds do not smell, you could have it in your home and be unaware, which only makes it more dangerous.

Getting Rid of Mold

Regardless of what type of mold you have, it is always wise to get it removed as soon as possible. Mold removal should be done by professionals, especially mycotoxin molds. A remediation company may install HEPA air filters and use special cleaning substances to rid your Oakville, Missouri home of invasive mold spores. This is the best way to ensure your family is no longer exposed to the stinky molds and the more dangerous smell-free molds. Visit http://www.SERVPROoakvillemehlville.com for more information on mold.

Other News

View Recent Posts